Thursday 10 October 2013

Warm up game vs Dark Elves part II


It's been a few weeks since my last warm up game but I managed to get to the club last night to play - with the start of CBBBL looming, my fellow coaches have started to get back into the swing of Blood Bowl so, hopefully, I'll get a couple more warm ups in before the league starts on 30th October.

This game was against Graeme who was using his new Dark Elf team.  Graeme had been intending to use his Vampire team; a team he's not had a lot of luck with in previous leagues as they're just so unforgiving in a league format.  He had a recent practice game against Rodders and took a heavy drubbing - so he's switched teams to Dark Elves which will hopefully allow him a much more enjoyable season.

Graeme received the kick and got to work quickly, pushing through my defences thanks to the nimbleness of his AG4 players and he scored in his turn two.  I was a bit flummoxed by this as I thought I'd done a decent set up - but with seven turns left I thought I'd be able to score this half and then try to dominate the second half to allow me a win.  That plan was all well and good apart from the uncooperative hobgoblins who absolutely refused to pick up a ball.  I burned through both my rerolls on them - any by the time they did get hold of the ball, it was too late to score.  Curses.  Additionally, the best I'd done to injure any of his players was to knock them out so at the second half we both still had full team rosters to field.

Things went a little better for me in the second half - my hobgoblin actually managed to pick the ball up at the first attempt for one. I managed to hurt one of his linemen and, thanks to some poor positioning, I had an easy task of crowd-surfing his witch elf - and the fans killed her for it!  Graeme was very thankful that this was just a warm-up game and won't make that mistake again, I'm sure!  I scored around turn five to equalise and, hopefully, give me a chance to turn him over and try to get a win.  Even with just nine players on his side, Graeme pushed forward and got very close to scoring - I had to blitz his ball carrying blitzer to try to stop him and, thankfully, it worked.  I recovered the ball but there was no time left to do anything other than ensure he couldn't score and the game ended 1-1.

So - a better result than I had last time against Dark Elves but, from the practice games I've had so far, I suspect my league chances will be slim.

Score - 1-1 draw.

My team : 2 x bull centaurs, 6 x chaos dwarfs, 3 x hobgoblins, 2 x rerolls, apothecary
Graeme's team : 3 x blitzers, 1 x witch elf, 7 x linemen, 2 x rerolls

No comments:

Post a Comment