Thursday 17 October 2013

Warm up game vs Wood Elves


I had yet another warm up game last night - I'm still trying to wrap my mind around the best ways of using this Chaos Dwarf team.  This time is was against my friend Darren and his Wood Elf team.  Darren won CBBBL IV with this team, albeit mainly due to the phenomenal luck of rolling stat increases on a Wardancer to make it a ST4 AG5 pointy-eared aberration.  There was just no stopping it - and combined with his skilful playing, there was no stopping him either.  Hopefully this league he will not be quite so lucky!

The game started fairly well for me - I won the FAME roll and the dice-off to see who kicked or received.  When the Wood Elves kicked off the ball scattered off the field and I got a touchback and gave it straight to a bull centaur - just trying to give the ball to a centaur normally burns my rerolls!  I slowly moved up the field, doing my best to keep my ball carrier free from any chance of being blitzed whilst doing my best to smash the elves.  I did manage to punch a few unconscious but not enough to stop Darren blocking my path.  Around turn six I tried to break free and left a small chink in my defence - and Darren immediately got to work.  He had a catcher put a tackle zone on my bull centaur, then did some crazy dodges and a leap with his Wardancer to one dice block my centaur - and smashed him to the floor.  The ball scattered and he got a nearby elf to grab it and lob it downfield!  Disaster!  All Darren needed to do to score in the last turn of the game was to make a go-for-it - and the elf slipped over whilst doing so.  Lucky escape there...

In the second half, the Wood Elves only had eight players so he tried a refused flank setup - my kick went very deep to the other side of the field which was excellent for me.  Then his treeman took a swipe at my dwarf blocker and rolled a skull and a both down.  Darren elected to take the result rather than use his only reroll.  I sent my players downfield towards the ball carrier and started punching the rest of his players.  With yet more elf razzle dazzle, Darren's wardancer blitzed one of my players, leapt over my defensive line and sprinted off into my back field - then his thrower grabbed the ball, threw it over the heads of my chaos dwarfs and the wardancer caught it perfectly - another big gameplay switch!  I pulled back some of my players and did the only thing I could - I blitzed with a bull centaur and managed to knock the wardancer over, stunning her.  In my next turn, I needed my players to do what they have the most trouble with - picking up the ball!  One of my hobgoblins managed to do just that and, to cap it off nicely, he even managed to hand it off to a bull centaur!  The centaur charged down field again, this time with a few nearby players to support him.  I'd continued to keep punching Darren's other players and it was taking it's toll on them, with them being knocked out and pushed off field.  With so few players left, Darren couldn't really do much to stop my bull centaur but he did his best, sending that wardancer after him and getting her to leap into my cage to blitz him, with a two dice block my choice - which luckily for me had come up with a skull.  She was becoming very annoying so I had a few players surround her and then had a hobgoblin foul her - which resulted in a -1 AG stat decrease on her.  The dirty little swine wasn't even sent off.  Darren was very, very pleased that this was just a warm up game...

I scored in my last turn leaving Darren with just a prone treeman on the field.  It was a tough match indeed but it's always a good test to play against Darren.

I've got one more warm up game scheduled before the start of the league proper - I think I'm just about ready for it now.

Score - 1-0 win.


My team : 2 x bull centaurs, 6 x chaos dwarfs, 3 x hobgoblins, 2 x rerolls, apothecary
Darren's team : 1 x wardancer, 1 x thrower, 2 x catchers, 6 x linemen, 1 x treeman, 1 x reroll

No comments:

Post a Comment