Thursday 16 January 2014

8th Game vs Wood Elves

Timelord of the Wood Elves
Things are getting tense now - the last few games of the season are always heated battles and I knew I was in for a difficult time in this game as I was facing against my mate Darren with his beloved Wood Elves.

Our teams were pretty evenly matched - Darren's team was 90K TV lower than mine so he got a Bloodweiser babe as an inducement.  We rolled for weather and the result was that it was very sunny - great for me as I didn't intend to be passing the ball anyway!  I won the toss so I asked Darren to kick off.  The one wood elf catcher in Darren's team had the kick skill so I spread out my hobgoblins so they at least had a chance of getting near the ball - but as it happened, I didn't need them too as Darren's deep kick placed it right next to the sidelines and the ball bounced off the side.  I gave it to a bull centaur and started the punching.  The first couple of blocks was ineffective - one elf lineman was knocked over and another pushed back.  It did mean I had room for my claw blocker to take a two-dice block on Darren's treeman though.  He broke his armour without even needing to use his claw and caused a stunned result on the tree.  Not a bad thing really as it meant that I could run away from it in the next turn!  With the treeman down, it meant I could push on forward and keep pressing Darren's team.  Despite this, Darren managed to get a one-dice block on my bull centaur which knocked him down and popped the ball free.  Luckily I managed to recover the ball in the next turn thanks to my Sure Hands hobgoblin and I scored in my last turn.  Darren's final turn just allowed him time to get a completion for one of his players on 5 SPP's.

For the second half, Darren was down to nine players - I'd pushed a catcher off the field in the first half and the crowd killed him.  Darren used his apothecary and the result was changed to a Miss Next Game.  I'd also caused a serious injury on a lineman, causing a -1 ST injury on him.  I set up with my least valuable blockers in the LOS as I knew one of them would be taking a treeman to the face soon.  I kicked the ball - and rolled a Blitz result!  I sent my bull centaurs forward, one of them blitzing another lineman to the ground in the process.  I also moved up all my remaining players but kept the hobgoblins back for defence.  That was a good thing as, before long, Darren's thrower had passed the ball to a wardancer who'd gotten through my defences.  Rather than blitz her with a blocker, I moved up a chaos dwarf and then blitzed her with my Wrestle hobgoblin - and he dragged her to the ground with him.  My nearby Sure Hands hobgoblin then jumped in and grabbed the ball!  That lucky reprieve meant that I could start pushing back up field and trying to defend against the wood elf attacks.  It worked - and my hobgoblin scored again in the last turn of the game.

A 2-0 win to me and a tough game.  I think luck helped though as I had fairly good dice and broke a lot of elven armour even though they weren't injured - just keeping them on the floor for a turn gave me the room to trundle towards the end zone.

Next game is due to be against a dwarf team with an AG4 runner.  A target for the minotaur if ever there was one...

Score - 2-0 win

My team : 2 x bull centaurs, 6 x chaos dwarfs, 3 x hobgoblins, 1 x minotaur, 2 x rerolls, apothecary

Darren's team : 2 x wardancers, 1 x thrower, 1 x catcher, 6 x linemen, 1 x treeman, 1 x reroll, apothecary

No comments:

Post a Comment