Wednesday 18 September 2013

Warm up game vs Skaven part II

I can't get to the club this week (something about the club meeting coinciding with my wedding anniversary) so Rodders and I had another warm-up game using the FUMBBL Blood Bowl client.  FUMBBL is an online way of playing Blood Bowl against an opponent via a Java game client - it's free to use and it's been running for years.  I've been signed up on it since 2005 but I only had my first game on it back in 2011 - so this game against Rodders would be only my second.

We both set up our existing CBBBL teams on there although I have made a change to my roster - I removed a hobgoblin and a reroll and bought a sixth chaos dwarf and an apothecary.

The weird thing for me about FUMBBL is that the game is played sideways - and I'm one of those people who've only ever played tabletop Blood Bowl with the board facing me.  It took me a few turns to get used to the format!  With FUMBBL, you also need to ensure that you decide what you want to do with a player before you select the action - so if you want to have a player pick up the ball and hand off to another, you have to choose that option from the menu; you can't choose move and then decide to hand off at the last minute.  This is a more accurate way of how Blood Bowl should be but I think the coaches at my club are a little more forgiving than the rules state.

Rodders received the kick and immediately set about being tricksy with his rats, knocking over my defensive line and getting his gutter runners deep into my backfield.  By turn three, he'd scored which was very early - he wasn't able to stall as I'd kept a bull centaur back as a defence.  I now had quite a lot of the half left to try to equalise - and I did manage to do that in the end although Rodders was making it very difficult despite having a number of knocked out players.  In the second half, the lack of numbers was starting to hurt him as my team started beating his up.  I did lose a hobgoblin to a -1 AG injury - I chose to not use the apothecary though as in the CBBBL league I will be saving him for the bull centaurs.  Hobgoblins are cheap so they can be replaced... I did, however, manage to kill one of Rodders blitzers which was harsh on him.  Towards the end, he had so few players left that I was in total control of the game - I even managed to get a hobgoblin to hand off to a bull centaur so he could score.

So - a 2-1 win to the Chaos Dwarfs over the Skaven and I'm thinking I'll keep my lineup for the CBBBL start.  Only having two rerolls is a risk but, as Rodders pointed out after our game last week : "You should only use a reroll if you really do need to score or stop the opponent scoring - if you're trying something desperate then you've already lost but you don't know it yet."


Score - 2-1 win

My team : 2 x bull centaurs, 6 x chaos dwarfs, 3 x hobgoblins, 2 x rerolls, apothecary
Rodders' team : 2 x blitzers, 4 x gutter runners, 1 x thrower, 3 x linemen, rat ogre, 2 x rerolls

No comments:

Post a Comment