Friday 6 September 2013

Warm up game vs Orcs


Although I've played Blood Bowl since the 2nd edition, I started playing it regularly since 2006.  As such, I know my way around a BB pitch and I've tried to help the newer players at the club to develop their tactics so they don't get thrashed and lose interest.  That does nobody any favours.  So, this Wednesday, I scheduled a warm up league game with Harvey and his Orc team.  Harvey is a great guy and seasoned wargamer but he's only been playing BB for a year or so.  I thought I could give him a game to help him remember the rules and get to grips with some of the tactics, such as pointing out where he could maximise the effectiveness of blocking and positioning of his players.  It would also help me get used to my team so I knew what to look out for.

As it happened, what I needed to look out for was being rubbish at rolling dice!  I kicked to Harvey and his Orcs pummelled my guys a bit and some fell over.  My players got up and tried to stop Harvey from moving forward.  That was what happened for pretty much the whole first half except that one of my Chaos Dwarfs got injured so I was a man down.  Harvey scored in his turn 8.  In my turn 8, Harvey kicked a blitz and knocked out a Hobgoblin.  In the 2nd half, the hobgob got back onto the field to give me 10 men which was something.  Harvey kicked a blitz again and his guys again pummelled my team.  My hobgobs fumbled the pickup and wasted a reroll.  The orcs commenced punching again...  After a long struggle, I managed to get the ball to a Bull Centaur in range of the end zone.  He just needed to make two go for it's to score and he had Sure Feet to make it easy.  I got cocky and rolled both dice simultaneously.  Snake eyes.  Oh dear.

The good points of the game is that Harvey enjoyed playing his team and I think I helped him with remembering some rules and how he could do things better - I just need to get some new dice that don't hate me ;)

Score - 1-0 loss

My team : 2 x bull centaurs, 5 x chaos dwarfs, 4 x hobgoblins, 3 x rerolls
Harvey's team : 4 x blitzers, 4 x black orc blockers, 1 x thrower, 2 x linemen, 3 x rerolls

No comments:

Post a Comment